Some people have asked for a table to roll on for descriptors. There is a really cool list of 1000 descriptors found in the downloads section on this site, but I decided to put together one specifically geared towards Covert Ops to help those aspiring agents out there.
Face it – all characters in a good spy story have some kind of personality flaw. Sometimes these flaws are defining. Sometimes they’re just background flavor. When creating your character, you must define two descriptors. You are encouraged to define one which is beneficial and one which is baneful to your agent, though the GM may work with you if you have other concepts.
Many of these are taken from actual agents made by real people over the years of designing, play testing, and playing. Two of these belong to my favorite operative. Many are made up on-the-spot, but whatever. Hope they help you!
00. Absent Minded
01. Absorbed in ideas – always in deep thought
02. Too easily trusts authority figures
03. Acts amateurish and foolish
04. Addicted to substance: nicotine, caffeine, etc.
05. Adoration of history and historical figures
06. Wears heart on sleeve
07. Unnecessarily aggressive demeanor
08. Plagued by strong allergies
09. Always hungry
10. Overly ambitious, motivated by ambition
11. Painstakingly careful and analytic
12. Gets anxious around famous people
13. Arrogantly believes self to be always right
14. Answers most questions with other questions.
15. Exercises to clear head / think things through.
16. Cautious and averse to unnecessary risk.
17. Likes to perform childish pranks.
18. Bad sense of fashion.
19. Poor direction sense, gets lost easily.
20. Strongly politically biased.
21. Blames others for own mistakes.
22. Blind to wrong-doing of employer.
23. Tends to boast about things.
24. A bit stoic and boring.
25. Tends to act bossy to others.
26. Brave to the point of foolhardy.
27. A bit of a brown-noser.
28. Callous about relationships.
29. Remains annoyingly calm under stress.
30. Just isn't good at exercising authority.
31. Judges others, often to their face.
32. Completely ignores social rules.
33. Can be really nasty when backed into corner.
34. Thinks he’s more charismatic than he is.
35. Charitable to a fault.
36. Tends to ramble on cheerfully chatty
37. Suffers from claustrophobia.
38. Germaphobe, cleans hands constantly.
39. Cold-hearted, isn't easily moved emotionally.
40. Likes to collect trophies of enemies defeated.
41. Hair-trigger, quick to fight.
42. Very competitive with fellow agents.
43. Always complains about things.
44. Impulsive, hates to sit around planning.
45. Compulsive finger and foot tapping.
46. Overconfident about own prowess.
47. Easily confused by too many facts.
48. Always does the unconventional thing.
49. Corrupt; will take a sizable bribe.
50. Collects favors and uses them like currency.
51. Still a criminal after all these years.
52. Struggles with religious faith long abandoned.
53. Driven to danger by sheer curiosity.
54. Dangerous, and proud of it.
55. Emotionally plagued by a past dark secret.
56. Dedicated to the team, not the mission.
57. Delusional belief in the supernatural.
58. A bit of a dilettante, enjoys the high life.
59. Has conflicted loyalties.
60. Disregards rules on general principle.
61. Never satisfied with a mission’s outcome.
62. Distrustful of anyone in the media.
63. Does what is necessary, no matter how grim.
64. Overly dramatic when acting.
65. Never met a car he couldn't damage.
66. Likes to drink, hates to be drunk.
67. Early riser, clearly a morning person.
68. Easily amused and jovial.
69. Corrects people’s grammar.
70. Easily embarrassed – red cheeks and all.
71. Unstable emotions, never know how he’ll act.
72. Enigmatic and mysterious.
73. Likes to whistle or hum while constantly.
74. Overly energetic and enthusiastic… always.
75. Exaggerates whenever recounting details.
76. Has a family legend or curse.
77. Overly flirtatious, even when inappropriate.
78. Follows instructions literally.
79. Believes himself lucky, and often is.
80. Always thinks 3 moves ahead.
81. Needs to get the last word in a disagreement.
82. Guarded about his orders, mission, objectives.
83. Never on time, claims it’s not his fault.
84. Doesn't see the good in anyone.
85. Hatred towards a certain group of people.
86. Always has to have a plan “B.”
87. Has a rivalry with a specific person/agent.
88. Impolite to men, always polite to women.
89. Is always reading books.
90. Inquisitive, always digs deeper for answers.
91. Has an unhealthy fear of heights.
92. Jaded by former lover, won’t fall in love again.
93. Turns everything into a dirty joke.
94. Pretends can only speak one specific language.
95. Says “Hmm” before answering questions.
96. Acts with an eye-rolling level of macho.
97. Uses military jargon in everyday speech.
98. Never eats meat, even if it’s the only food.
99. Calls “dibs” on things.